August 3, 2011

Conversation with a Dying God

I know this place.

Yes. This is - was once - the Beacon of the World. Behold collapsed glory! An inept wonder. The conclusion of all vanity. The wreckage of paradise!

You have brought me here because your work is complete?

Never complete. See down there, that litter of shelters, like sediment. The vomit of your ceaseless determination! I am come here to die where Iylum died. Face you west and lament the final sunset. I have covered the world in fire. Now shall it be covered in darkness.

Lord, you abandon me! What purpose is left for me in desolation? This place is no wonder. It is a graveyard of the gods.

Never a purpose had I for you. It was you who pursued me. As you witnessed the murder of my kin, so you were cursed to witness the murder of your own.

I have forgotten who I was. This man whose face I wear, his mind is obscured in a wake of smoke. I am a newborn, in a dying world.

Then die with it.

Mercy, Lord! Let us worship you, as a fire in the night!

Iylum would that you worshiped no gods. I would that no men live to defile us. No matter. Both of us submit to extinction.

Then die, the last of you! But we still live, some of us.

There are no victories left to you. You will live in the bones of your empires. Your children will be strangers to daylight, born blind. You will scrounge in the dirt until your own tombs are dug. And the last of you will lie down in them, because there will be no beauty left for you to fight for.

No comments:

Post a Comment